dog sleeping

How much sleep do dogs need?

Unlike humans, dogs have a very unique resting style and this difference usually gets dog parents into this thinking that whether their dog is getting enough sleep or not. And let’s be honest here, at times you might wish to exchange your lifestyle with them and that’s understandable! Who doesn’t like waking up on their own terms, eating, chilling, playing and going back to sleep again. Along with some admirable qualities like loyalty and affection, dogs have some admirable sleeping patterns too.

Why does my dog sleep so much?

Your question is valid! Dogs usually sleep during the day and you get to experience their adorable sleeping postures at night as well which sometimes makes you wonder “how much sleep do dogs need?” right? So the precise answer to your question is, Dogs usually need 12-14 hours of sleep daily. But the number might vary depending on the age, diet, activity during the day and breed of the dog. Some dogs sleep all day, which usually means that your dog is aging. If that’s not the case then you need to consult a vet.

Do dogs sleep at night?

Normally dogs fulfill 75% of their sleep needs at night and the rest of the 25% during the day. Also it depends on the environment, indoor dogs end up having more sound sleep and  complete 80% of the sleep at night. On the other hand, dogs who sleep outdoors complete 60-70% of their sleep at night and catch up on the rest of their sleep in the morning. Dogs sleeping hours during night also depends on their activity level during the day. Tired dogs end up sleeping well at night.

How to improve my dog’s sleeping schedule?

There are certain things that you can take care of in order to improve your dog’s sleeping schedule:

  • First thing first, make sure that your dog naps in a quiet environment. Just like human, uninterrupted sleep is very important for dogs as well otherwise they end up being cranky and lazy after waking up
  • Follow a bedtime routine. No matter how much late night fun and cuddles you are enjoying with your dog, don’t keep him awake merely because of that. Dogs are called man’s best friend for a reason. They might not want to leave you even after being overtired but it’s your duty to ensure that they are well rested and well fed everyday.
  • Always plan an activity before you allow your dog to sleep. Either go for a walk or have a little play time. Tired dogs end up having a very sound sleep which is good for them in the long run. 

Hence, just watch the clock and let your dog decide his own sleeping schedule. But if you think, if its not working out then consult a veterinarian.

1 thought on “How much sleep do dogs need?”

  1. Pingback: https://petscanada.ca/how-much-sleep-do-dogs-ne...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.